For many manufacturers, creating an adequate and proper schedule for a manufacturing facility is a common struggle that most face. With utilization of an ERP or MRP system, how do you make your production schedule anymore specific and direct? The answer is quite simple: advanced planning and scheduling software (APS). Advanced planning and scheduling (APS) software is a must for manufacturing facilities that are in need of proper analysis of logistics and manufacturing over short, intermediate, and long-term periods.
This is conducted through mathematical algorithms and logic that enhances operational efficiency within a production facility. Advanced planning and scheduling (APS) software enables manufacturers to have a visual of production schedules and allows for allocation of the most advantageous schedule for production. This is how manufacturing operations are able to effectively boosts efficiency and reduce waste within their operation with ease. Before implementation of advanced planning and scheduling (APS) software, it is essential to understand the benefits of utilizing the software.
Benefits of Utilizing an Advanced Planning and Scheduling Software
The benefits of utilizing an advanced planning and scheduling software system pertains to the following:
- Fast ROI and Increased Long-Term Profits - With advanced planning and scheduling software, it is considered to be relatively low cost when compared to how quickly manufacturing facilities are able to see results. Utilizing APS software, it can lead up to a 20% increase in productivity as well as reducing up to approximately 50% of raw materials that are being utilized, ultimately allowing individuals to synchronize purchasing with an achievable schedule.
- ERP Enhancement - With the correct and adequate APS software, it can easily be integrated into an ERP system without disruption of the current process and will take the capability of your overall ERP to the next level. While APS software may seem as though it can overlap with ERP software, it actually makes your process and scheduling much more specific and provides complimentary features.
- Visibility Enhancement - Having thorough visibility into your manufacturing operation is a must when seeking to enhance efficiency and eliminate bottlenecks. Having the ability to color code and set alerts pertaining to your manufacturing and production process is one of the key benefits of utilizing advanced planning and scheduling software.
- ‘What If’ Analysis - In order to make sure that a planners job is much easier, advanced planning software will be able to analyze common problems as well as test scenarios pertaining to the production schedule. You will often find that ERP software is not enough to have in terms of maintaining a high level of customer service as well as keeping low costs. APS software is easily able to aid with this concept.
- Leaner Manufacturing - One of the last key benefits of utilizing an APS system is making your manufacturing operation much leaner. Having a lean operation is the goal of many manufacturers and can greatly enhance your profitability and cut your costs. Lean manufacturing pertains to waste reduction and getting rid of excess materials and resources. APS can adequately aid with this concept and greatly enhance your operation.
Overall, these components of APS are important to understand before implementing the software. Now, with PlanetTogether’s APS software, there are various softwares it can be implemented with.
Advanced Planning and Scheduling Software
Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) software has become a must for modern-day manufacturing operations due to customer demand for increased product mix and fast delivery combined with downward cost pressures. APS can be quickly integrated with an ERP/MRP software to fill gaps where these system lack planning and scheduling flexibility and accuracy. Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) helps planners save time while providing greater agility in updating ever-changing priorities, production schedules, and inventory plans.
- Create optimized schedules balancing production efficiency and delivery performance
- Maximize output on bottleneck resources to increase revenue
- Synchronize supply with demand to reduce inventories
- Provide company-wide visibility to capacity
- Enable scenario data-driven decision making
Implementation of Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) software will take your manufacturing operations to the next level of production efficiency, taking advantage of the operational data you already have in your ERP.
Related Capacity Planning Video
Topics: APS benefits