Compress Idle Time
This feature removes idle time in the schedule by “compressing” activities to the left of the schedule without changing their sequence or violating any constraints. Manual scheduling can result in undesired gaps in the schedule where resources are unintentionally left idle. Compressing the schedule will remove such gaps. However, it is important to note that the Compress Idle Time feature will not re-sequence jobs that can be scheduled earlier when removing the gaps.
Compress operations starting before: This specifies a limit to the compress to avoid “pulling in” operations that are not needed until far in the future.
- End of Frozen Span: If selected, then the system will only compress operations that start before the end of the frozen span.
- End of Plant Stable Span: If selected, the system will only compress operations that start before the end of the plant stable span.
- End of schedule: If selected, the system will only compress operations that start before the end of the schedule.
- Specific Date/Time: If selected, the system will only compress operations that start before a specified date and time.
- Release Rule to use: This prevents operations from starting too early by specifying the release dates that should be used.
- JIT With Resource HeadStart: The system will apply the number of HeadStart days specified for each resource to the activities’ JIT start.
- JIT With Global HeadStart: Selecting this option will allow the user to specify the number of JIT Slack days to be applied to the activities’ JIT start.
- Drum-Buffer-Rope: Selecting this option will allow the user to specify the number of JIT Slack days to the capacity-constrained resource when the schedule is compressed.
The Just In Time Compress function will shift operations to the future while preserving their sequence to reduce early production and accommodate high future capacity loads. When this button is clicked, the activities will be rescheduled to their Activity JIT date while the sequence of activities remains the same.