The APS.net Scheduling Agent is a Windows Service that can be used to automate the execution of various scheduling tasks at predetermined intervals. Once your system is setup and running smoothly you might want to make use of this to automate daily actions thus reducing the chance of manual error and freeing up time to work on other activities.
The following Tasks can be automated using the Scheduling Agent:
- Perform Imports by the APS.net Interface Service
- Advance the APS.net Clock to update it to the current (server) PC time
- Optimize the schedule
- Publish to SQL so external (SQL-based) reporting can access the new schedule data
- Publish to XML so external (XML-based) reporting can access the new schedule data
- Store KPI Snapshot
You have the option of including each of the above Tasks. Those that are included are executed in the sequence specified above.
Setting it up
To setup the Scheduling Agent,
- Set the values in the APS.netSchedulingAgent.exe.config file. This is where you specify which Tasks to run and the frequency at which they should be run.
- Start the APS.net Scheduling Agent Service in Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services. You can also set the Startup Type to Automatic so that it starts automatically whenever the server is restarted.