This dialog is used to simplify the information that is shown in the resource and job Gantts to make them easier to read and to speed up redraws when making schedule changes. The settings are stored for each user and preserved between sessions. None of these settings have any effect on the actual schedule – they only affect how the information is displayed.
Setting Up the Simplify Gantt Dialog
From the Gantt view, click on the Simplify Gantt button to open the Simplify Gantt Dialog. This dialog has four tabs with settings that can be changed to specify which information will be displayed on the Gantt.
- Time Hiding: Time Hiding “compresses time” to show more on the screen by hiding time periods where resources are offline, or for times that are not important now.
- Days to Hide: Specifies which days should not be shown. For example, if you never work on the weekends, then you may want to hide Saturday and Sunday to save that space on the screen.
- Hours to Hide: Specifies which hours should not be shown. For example, if you work from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM, you may want to hide hours between 12 AM and 7 AM plus the hours between 5 PM and 12 AM. (There is no way to hide fractions of hours).
- Clear Checks: These buttons uncheck all of the Days or Hours in their associated group of checkboxes.
Note: Time hiding repeats over the entire schedule from the current time to the infinite future. Just because a time period is hidden does not mean that there is no work scheduled there. If a resource is online during a hidden period, work may still be scheduled there.
- Speed-Ups: These options can be used to reduce the clutter of having capacity intervals everywhere on the screen if you do not need to know where the online and offline periods are. These settings can also be used to speed-up the redrawing of the Gantt and are especially useful for large data sets or slower computers.
- Hide Capacity Intervals: If checked, then capacity intervals (all types) that start more than the specified time from the current PC time are not drawn.
- Hide Activities: If checked, then activities that start more than the specified time from the current PC time are not drawn.
- Hide Tank Plots: Tank Resources display a graphical interface to show how the inventory level of the stored item fluctuate. This setting will hide those plots to speed up performance.
- Capacity Intervals: These options can be used to prevent accidental changes to existing capacity intervals in the resource Gantt. This tab allows for each of the various capacity interval type to be “frozen” in place on the Gantt and prevent the user from making changes using the mouse.
Note: capacity intervals can still be modified by right-clicking or double-clicking on the capacity intervals.
- Online Intervals: If checked, then moving and resizing of the Online capacity intervals is not allowed.
- Overtime Intervals: If checked, then moving and resizing of the Overtime capacity intervals is not allowed.
- Potential Overtime Intervals: If checked, then moving and resizing of the Potential Overtime capacity intervals is not allowed.
- Offline Intervals: If checked, then moving a resizing of the Offline capacity intervals is not allowed.
- Cleanout Intervals: If checked, then moving and resizing of the Cleanout capacity intervals is not allowed.
- Alternate Campaign Colors by Item Group: If checked, the color of campaign blocks will alternate every time the Item Group associated with the campaign changes. Otherwise, the manufacturing order product color is used.
- Preview: Draws the Gantts with the simplified options currently selected.
- Save and Close: will store and apply the changes made.