Lean methodology is one of the most commonly used methodologies within manufacturing operations around the globe. While this is common and well-known within the manufacturing industry, it is not commonly referred to within the project management spectrum of the industry.
Lean methodology and project management can be implemented together and many individuals reap the benefits through integrating these two concepts together. It is important to understand the underlying principles and why they are so important to operations and how they benefit operations around the globe. Therefore, here are the top five benefits of lean project management within an operation.
5 Benefits of Lean Project Management
Understanding the five benefits of lean project management are essential before integration of the methodology, therefore, here are the benefits of lean project management:
- Greater Visibility - Visibility is a key component within operations that are in need of efficiency enhancement. Enhanced visibility of work in progress, task priorities, the short and long term plan, risks and project status, and more. Everyone within a team to senior management get more of the information this way, ultimately aiding the operation immensely.
- Improved Control - The more control over your operation the better. You want to be in control and ensure that the outcome of the operation is on par with what is expected. With adequate access to knowledge, the team is able to manage risks and resources effectively, team members are empowered and are able to make better decisions. This will ultimately result in a more responsive and agile development system.
- Improved Products - With lean thinking, what customers value are by far one of the, if not THE most important aspect. Without considering what customers value, you will be unable to accomplish lean methodology. Also, with more control and options, the operation is far more likely to meet goals, which include the delivery of high value products to our customers and our business. When we are aware of what the customer really wants, then we will have more control of the product that is put out.
- Profitability - Time is money and profitability is a huge component within a process. Meeting customer needs is a substantial aspect within achieving profitability within an operation. Utilizing lean project management will ensure that profitability is made and cost are reduced.
- Faster Projects - Having adequate knowledge and learning from past mistakes will ensure for improved decision making capabilities. This will also be less time spent fighting any potential mistakes on the last project and completion of the next project far more quickly.
Lean methodology and project management can be implemented together in order to improve processes within the operation. Lean and project management can be also enhanced greatly through implementation of Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) Software. With utilization of this software, APS can easily take your operation to the next level in terms of efficiency and waste elimination. Waste elimination is by far one of the most important components within any operation that is seeking to reduce costs and increase profitability. Therefore, utilization of APS software will enable thorough visibility, cost reduction, and profit increase through a visual scheduling process. APS software is being implemented into manufacturing operations around the globe that are in need of efficiency enhancement.
Advanced Planning and Scheduling Software
Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) software has become a must for modern-day manufacturing operations due to customer demand for increased product mix and fast delivery combined with downward cost pressures. APS can be quickly integrated with a ERP/MRP software to fill gaps where these system lack planning and scheduling flexibility and accuracy. Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) helps planners save time while providing greater agility in updating ever-changing priorities, production schedules, and inventory plans.
- Create optimized schedules balancing production efficiency and delivery performance
- Maximize output on bottleneck resources to increase revenue
- Synchronize supply with demand to reduce inventories
- Provide company-wide visibility to capacity
- Enable scenario data-driven decision making
Implementation of Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) software will take your manufacturing operations to the next level of production efficiency, taking advantage of the operational data you already have in your ERP.