It is important to understand where exactly your production stands at all times. This pertains to understanding how materials are being transferred throughout production, any bottlenecks or hindrances within the manufacturing process, and if cost are not as low as they can be. It is also important to understand the budget, resources, and any potential tasks that could be completed in a much more efficient manner. Receiving real-time data and having thorough visibility into these portions of your manufacturing process can allow you to make decisions pertaining to optimization and efficiency increase. Within this blog, we will discuss why visibility of your data plays a substantial role within your project’s success and can aid production.
5 Reasons Why Visibility Within Your Operation is a Must
The five reasons why visibility is a must across various departments includes the following:
- Capacity Planning Improvement - Having access to data enables you to have clear insight into future workloads. This also allows for simple modeling of utilization and requirements of resources. This gives production the ability to swiftly assess the impact of production by current/future production needs.
- Confidence Increase - Understanding what your current production status is can easily improve decision making in the future. Real-time information flow is much more efficient than analyzing data from the past, which is why real-time data can increase confidence in making decisions.
- Wasted Time Reduction - Wasted time is a substantial issue within many manufacturing operations, which is why visibility can offer much more thorough insight into this issue. Data visibility gives access to the data that is needed without having to rely on updates from the project staff, ultimately saving production time.
- Decision Making Enhancement - As stated in the other factors, visibility can easily aid decision making. It is impossible to make effective and reliable decisions without reliable data. Having the data on hand quickly enables you to make smart and effective decision based on the complete picture.
- Risk Identification - Identifying risks are key within a production plan. Being able to access data allows you to identify potential risks and adjust the production plan accordingly. This will aid in keeping the project on time and within the budget.
An advanced planning and scheduling software (APS) can lead to a drastic improvement into visibility within your operation. APS allows you to generate schedules based off of resources and offers real-time data that aids management with decision making. Visibility is key within a manufacturing operation, and advanced planning and scheduling software can aid this component with ease.
Advanced Planning and Scheduling Software
Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) software has become a must for modern-day manufacturing operations due to customer demand for increased product mix and fast delivery combined with downward cost pressures. APS can be quickly integrated with a ERP/MRP software to fill gaps where these system lack planning and scheduling flexibility and accuracy. Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) helps planners save time while providing greater agility in updating ever-changing priorities, production schedules, and inventory plans.
- Create optimized schedules balancing production efficiency and delivery performance
- Maximize output on bottleneck resources to increase revenue
- Synchronize supply with demand to reduce inventories
- Provide company-wide visibility to capacity
- Enable scenario data-driven decision making
Implementation of Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) software will take your manufacturing operations to the next level of production efficiency, taking advantage of the operational data you already have in your ERP.
Related Capacity Planning Video
Topics: APS benefits